Floral fabric circa 1980 and glossy wood finish
And, after their little makeover. . . .
While not a hard process, it did take a little time (and alot of spray paint). First, I removed the chair seats and got to sanding.
I ended up using 10 cans of spray paint (Valspar white gloss from Lowe's). I'm sure I lost some brain cells from inhaling the fumes. All I can say is thank goodness for those little spray paint guns, which made the job much easier.
Next, on to recovering the cushions. I wanted a more modern fabric so that the chairs didn't end up looking too "sweet" with their curvy lines. I went with this Raymond Waites outdoor fabric because of its durability and cost.
Because the cushions already had a couple of layers of fabric, I removed the floral. And found this (yikes, even worse!):
Trying to forget about the hard life these cushions have seen, I quickly got my staple gun and began recovering, folding the front and back over first.
Not too far off from my original inspiration pics.
I really like the way they turned out and the contrast they provide to my large, black table.
Here's the final tally:
6 chairs at $12.50 each = $75
3 yards of lattice fabric at $8/yd = $24
10 cans of white spray paint at $3.50 each = $35
Grand total = $134 or $22.33 per chair!